LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles County Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
- Antelope Valley – Monday, December 3 through Friday, December 7
- Los Angeles County Mountain areas – Monday, December 3 through Friday, December 7
Take precautions to protect yourself from the cold:
- Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
- Protect head, hands and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks.
- Check on and help family members, friends and neighbors with limited mobility and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently.
- If you have pets, bring them indoors and do not leave them outside overnight.
Take shelter during peak cold times:
- If you don’t have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers.
- The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has a Winter Shelter Program available for those who need shelter. Locations and transportation information are online at www.lahsa.org/or by calling the LA County Information line at 2-1-1 from any landline or cell phone.
Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when heating your home:
- Only use approved heaters, such as electric or natural gas heaters and fireplaces. Never use stoves, barbecues and ovens to heat your room or home, as these appliances can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide that can collect inside your home.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning.
- If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.